Monday, July 19, 2010

To BBQ or To BBQ

I have never BBQed in my life.

It's summer, and with the season comes great summer food. As I crack open the cookbooks I notice so many recipes for BBQ chicken or burgers, or grilled veggies or shish-kebabs. In the past I have pretty much passed by these with a few cursory glances, but now - things are different. I have more than just a George Foreman Grill at my disposal.

We bought a BBQ! It's called the Napoleon Prestige. T was sold on the fact that it is made in Canada and has a 10-year warranty. He went for quality, that's for sure. I was hoping to get a BBQ with the handy feature that tells you when your propane gas is low, but I am okay with sacrificing that for something that T is comfortable cooking with. After all, he's the guy, and he'll be doing the cooking on the BBQ. Right?


Not necessarily. I know that my summer goal was to try out new recipes every week and post my efforts & experiences, but if we are going to invest our hard-earned money in a fairly substantial cooking tool, I better learn how to use it! I am determined. I'm not going to break-out the BBQ recipes just yet - I'll take a few lessons from T first. But by the end of summer, let my BBQ prowess prevail! Or, at least, just not start a fire and ruin the food. :) It's all about the food.

Cheers & happy BBQing!

2 comments:

carmela said...

yay! congrats! BBQ's are fun :)
And Lee Valley Tools has a handy propane tank gauge that sticks to the outside of the tank. When you dribble water on it, it shows how full/empty your tank is! So you don't need to worry about missing out on that option.

Michal said...

Ooh, I'd be more than happy to help you out in your quest to master BBQ'ing! And by "help," I mean that I will gladly come over and taste test. Quality control, if you will.
I was JUST saying that I wish I had a BBQ...and knew how to use it! Good on ya, missy!