Friday, July 30, 2010

Balsamic Strawberries & Blackberries with Ricotta Cream

My friend Mark sent me a link with comments that echoed my thoughts: YUM. I knew that berries & cream wouldn't be T's ideal dessert, but it was very close to mine, and since I had already decided to get him some sort of rich chocolate cake for his birthday, I figured I could afford to spend a little time making a "pre-dessert, dessert."

Basically you mix up ricotta cheese with honey and vanilla, blend it until it's smooth and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Then you make the sweet balsamic drizzle by cooking the vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and then letting it cool. Mix the berries with some basil, the drizzle, spoon over top of the ricotta cream, and voila! Berries and cream.

Did we like it? Well, we both agreed that it was interesting. T said that it would be ideal at a wine-and-cheese type party. I think that it simply wasn't sweet enough - we thought that the berries & drizzle on vanilla ice cream would be heavenly. Perhaps if there was more honey mixed with the ricotta it would be better. Over I would give it a 6/10 for taste; I ate all of it, but wouldn't make it - at least the same way - again. For ease of preparation I would give it a 9/10; it was easy. Next time though, I'm breaking out the ice cream!

Ohya, and here's a photo of the chocolate-brownie cheesecake that I bought for T's birthday. He's a chocolate lover and I knew that he would appreciate a professional cake for his birthday. It was delicious and rich, and went over quite well - although it's quite expensive for its size. Perhaps my next endeavour will be a foray into the land of chocolate! I may never come back!

No comments: