Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Easy Lettuce Wraps and Bruschetta

Recipes from Save-On-Foods Healthy Recipes cookbook.


Lettuce wraps & bruschetta - yum! Perfect picnic food... well, almost. The lettuce wraps taste better when warm so if there's a way to transport them to the picnic or party and keep the heat, then great. Keep in mind that you want to add the steam fried noodles pretty much right before you eat them so that they stay crunchy. For ease of preparation I would give them a 10/10 - it was dead easy. The hardest part was taking apart the iceberg lettuce so that the leaves were intact and bowl-shaped. The hoisin sauce is really what makes this dish, and you don't need much because its flavour packs a punch. I would say for taste, it's a 9/10. I will definitely make this again!


As for the bruschetta, I wanted to make this because I had just rediscovered my love for it at my cousin's wedding. It was very yummy! This recipe was great, and it combined sun dried tomatoes and basil with fresh tomatoes, green onion and garlic. It then instructed to leave the tomato mixture at room temperature for up to 2 hours - probably to let all those flavours come out with gusto. And they did!

First, a spread of goat cheese/ricotta/basil on your crostini, and then the tomato mixture on top. It was delicious! Lots of chopping but it was really easy to make - 9/10. Make sure to drain the fresh tomatoes of the extra juice and seeds. The flavours were awesome and for taste I give it a 10/10 although I may be biased! :) The recipe yields 60 pieces and so I cut it in half - and there is still lots left over. Picnic, anyone?

1 comment:

iglen said...

This was some of the best picnic food ever! Yum!