Friday, July 25, 2008

Going Home to Barra

Hello lovelies,

We are back from Barra and all I have to say is WOW. I absolutely loved it there -- it's sooooo gorgeous and peaceful and filled with family heritage and beaches and ocean and rocks and scenery and history and it was amazing. I loved every single moment and I knew I would regret not booking a longer stay there.

My cousin Mary Kate met us at the airport and was a generous hostess, giving us island tours and doing up my whole family tree and having us over for tea, and all that. She's quite the character. Very nice. I have taken about a billion photos. Mary Kate works for the Barra Heritage Society so that came in quite handy.

Met some family at the Clan Macneil Gathering, and got on quite well with the chief, went and saw Kisimul Castle and attended the Clan Macneil dinner. It was lovely. People are so friendly, and everything is so quaint. Island life, you know.... I don't know that I would live there, but I sure wish I had been able to stay longer. Next time I come to Scotland I will make sure to do all the Hebrides up properly.

Got to see the house that my great-grandfather lived in, and my great-grandmother, and the church where they were married. Visited a few graveyards, monuments, ruins... so much personal history there.

We walked in to town every day and everyone waves to each other on the road... I love that. And there is only one single-lane road anywhere on the island, with "passing places" where people pull over if there's need. Last night Christine and I walked home from the Clan dinner (about 40 minutes) back to our hotel, and it was dark, but we had a dog go with us the whole way... our patron saint! It was so sweet to have a friendly furry canine guide with us. I miss my cats.

Anyways, we are doing really well and having lots of fun but mostly in awe of everything and feeling so lucky to be here and to have the opportunities that we have. We are just about to pick up our rental car and start driving on the other side... so I wonder how long I will continue to feel lucky, ha!

Hope all at home are well... thanks muchfor the messages.
xo
Elaan

No comments: