Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Belfast to Barra

Well, Belfast was cool and all, but we just plainly didn't have enough time there. Got some photos of some amazing things, but we don't feel that we did it justice... not like Glasgow anyways!

The hostel experience... now that's an interesting one. I have never stayed in a hostel before, and it was... not good. Although, Christine said it was not typical.

The room we stayed in had 6 bunk beds stuffed into it, and it was co-ed. Windows did not open so it was super humid, especially with all 12 people in there breathing at night. Kinda gross actually! Everyone was coming & going and sleeping & waking at all hours... the bathroom was on the other side of the building... people were snoring and wheezing and farting and whistling through their nose, and we had to listen to people scratching themselves and rifling through what seemed like endless plastic bags. The staff at the hostel were not friendly and did not give good service.

BUT, I know I sound like I am complaining, but it wasn't that bad actually. Being a hostel-virgin I was actually kinda fascinated by the whole thing. We are going to be staying in other hostels on our trip, and Christine says that the next ones are recommended by someone she knows, so we will see. I have to say it's really nice to have your own room & privacy. I must be spoiled. :P

Today we are on our way to Barra... where my grandmother's family orginates. Should be interesting! Going from Belfast back to Glasgow, we got hassled at the airport a bit -- I got the "random" pat-down, and Christine got all the stuff pulled out of her bag and they made her go back and re-pack everything into plastic bags. We have found that when leaving a major airport, they are much more lax about stuff, but when leaving a small airport they are really strict.

Okay, I am off... thanks to all of you that have sent messages!
xo
Elaan

No comments: