Monday, July 28, 2008

Fort William

Hello everyone

Christine & I have arrived in Fort William. It is a nice little town, although one of the tour books describes it as a major shopping district, which is laughable. They don't even have a movie theatre, and I think it's the biggest city of the highlands! We are thinking we should be prepared for REALLY small towns for the next while until we get back into Edinburgh.

En route today we stopped in Glencoe and went to this really cool museum and stopped at the Glencoe Massacre monument. I am learning a lot about Scottish history on this trip! It might not help that I am reading the second book in the Outlander series (which is set in Scotland) because all the history and politics in there are kinda confusing... I am hoping the REAL historical accounts will help me figure out what's going on in the book!

This evening we saw Neptune's Staircase, the Caledonian Canal, the Glenfinnan Monument, Ben Nevis, and Inverlochy Castle. And that was all done in a couple of hours! The bugs have come out tonight and they served to drive us away from staying still in any one place for too long. I hate stupid biting itchy bugs!

We have bought this Explorer Pass that gives us free entry into a number of castles and historical sites, and we just finished working out what we want to see and roughly when we think it will happen. We are doing well, although today I am feeling totally drained because it was SO hot here, and I wilted pretty good. Me + Heat = Blah. Thank goodness we have AC in the car. :)

Tomorrow we head to the Isle of Skye for two nights. We are also counting down the nights that we have booked in hostels... we are much more looking forward to rooms with privacy! There is one place down near Perth that was a highly recommended B&B, but the only catch was that they didn't have twin beds, only a double bed. I hope Christine doesn't mind that I am a cuddler! Hahaha.

Anyways, gotta get going... hope y'all are well. Drop me a line when you can!
Cheers
xo
Elaan

No comments: