Friday, July 19, 2013

Oh, Oslo!

The taxi driver that had brought me to the guest house by London Gatwick airport was pleasantly surprised to hear that S and I were going to Norway the next day. Turns out his family emigrated from India and moved to Norway where they lived for 20 years. All he really had to tell us, though, was that Oslo was not the best part of Norway. (He also, upon hearing that I was Canadian, said, "I know a guy in Toronto..." which I thought was going to be the beginning of a story but was more just a statement of fact.  Yay, Toronto.)

Our flight to Oslo was at 6am and so we had to be at the airport at 3am.  We were very careful to be quiet and not wake anyone as we were leaving, but in true E-style, I managed to smack my head as we were heading out the front door. Smacked it right on the door-knocker! Didn't wait around for the fallout...

We had been warned that Oslo was expensive, and that's certainly true.  Our early lunch (slice of pizza, drink and mediocre side salad) cost $20, and that was a deal. Any single drink like pop or juice costs at least $6. We were told (by a local) that traditional Norwegian food is "boring," but we haven't even really figured out what kind of food that is yet.

The weather here has been great, warm and lovely. We spent some time relaxing and reading in one of the outdoor cafés.  Food here has been pretty good overall - Norwegians sure love their Italian food, and that serves us just fine. :D  Everyone speaks English here too, so it's been really easy getting around, and people are generally helpful and friendly. 

People are also really affectionate - I am noticing lots of hand-holding, hugs, kisses and the like.  It's kind of nice, actually.  Are we so detached in Vancouver? Also, a wide, wide variety of people.  Even more than home, if that is possible. I also find myself noticing the blonde people more, although that could just be my mind focusing on what I expected to see, because certainly there are a ton of non-blondes (way more than four).

In trying to find a breakfast place, we discovered that there are many McDonald's, 7-11's and Burger Kings around the downtown core. No luck for an actual breakfast place though; we walked for an hour and asked several people, one of which responded, "I don't know what you mean by breakfast."  So we gave up and got an Egg McMuffin.  But we really tried. We really did.

We did the Hop-on/Hop-off bus tour of the city, and focused on a few amazing places. First, the Vigelandsparken Sculpture Park, which was odd and ethereal. I liked it, though. I always seem to find myself drawn to parks and serene spaces when I travel. Next, the Viking Ship Museum, which was pretty cool in its own right.

The main tourist pedestrian area is called Karl Johans Gate.  In the evening it hosts bicycle rickshaws, local artists, and a number of buskers. The talent is strong, especially with the musicians.  We've heard guitarists, singers, violinists, and one amazing accordion player who blew my socks off.  First time I've ever donated money to a busker!

I'm so glad to be travelling with S because she is naturally friendly and gracious with everyone, striking up conversations and jumping in to be helpful.  I, on the other hand, have to muster up the gumption to speak with strangers, although it's easier with her by my side. I have taken to saying "takk" (pronounced like "talk"), which is "thank you" in Norwegian, but unfortunately it seems to mislead people into thinking I am somewhat conversationally fluent. Between my blank stare and S's giggling explanation, they figure it out pretty quick.

This evening we are off to Copenhagen, Denmark!
Cheers & love,
E!

No comments: