Saturday, March 27, 2010

First Impressions

Well my flight to Mexico was pretty uneventful. I was lucky enough to sit near the back of the plane and thus get a whole row to myself, which was nice. I tried to sleep, but no luck there. I am glad that at the last minute I grabbed a fleece to wear on the plane, because it was cold!

When we landed in Mexico City, we got off the plane and onto a bus - I was the last one to squeeze on before we took off towards the terminal. After arriving at the terminal, they made us wait outside for a while, which I thought was rather strange - but hey, at least it was nice and warm.

Of course as luck would have it, I get pulled aside immediately after entering the terminal and all my luggage is swabbed down - presumably for drugs. What, now I look like a drug dealer? :)

Once I found Immigration (just followed the crowd, really) it was a huge line. While you are waiting in line these guys came around and made sure that you filled out your "Welcome to Mexico" card properly. I hadn't. Had to find a pen (I left my 4 dollar pen on the plane, argh!) and sign the back of the card in a not-very-conspicuous space. Anyways, then I went through Customs and all was fine.

As soon as I got out of Customs my phone rang and I was talking to Ted for the first time in weeks. The part of the trip I was most worried about was finding a taxi at the airport and getting to the hotel, but turns out it was totally organized & safe. There are these kiosks called "authorized taxis" and apparently they are the only taxi companies that are allowed to work at the airport. You pre-pay, you get a receipt, you get the taxicab #, and off you go.

During the taxi ride we were stopped at a red light and these 2 shady looking guys came out and suddenly started a drumming/fire performance act. I guess they do this at lights for extra cash. My taxi driver paid them a few coins. Beats the squeegie punks!!

Ted called me again while I was in the cab and asked if I wanted him to get some food, which I gratefully accepted since I was starving!! I got to the hotel ahead of him, but soon after he arrived with Burger King. :) So great to see him after so long. Soon after that it was bedtime though, and tomorrow was bound to be a very long day!

No comments: