Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day of Whatever-we-want

Slept late this morning. Ahhhh, it was decadent. Well, pretty decadent anyways. The cold night and the birds chirping at 5am were not ideal, but hey, it's just a different form of paradise to adapt to. ;)

Speaking of those chirping birds. The one right by the cabana had me awake long enough to determine that it was changing its chirp over and over. It would always do the same chirp twice, and then change it up. Double-chirp, just to make sure you heard him correctly, and then onto the next. Made for interesting listening, actually - just not at 5am. Anyways, I haven't seen him yet, so I don't know what kind of bird he is.

We headed down to the beach bar, which served breakfast overlooking the ocean. Crystal blue waters and gorgeous sand beach. Warm air, tropical breeze. NICE. Oh, but if you sit facing the wrong way you can get more than you bargained for - the beach is clothing-optional. It was a little jolt in my morning paradise to see naked-man doing handstands and yoga poses as I was trying to just chill out and enjoy my meal. Ted says it's all in where you sit and what way you face.

We decided to take the 10 minute journey to the Tulum ruins, which are just down the street from where we are staying. Apparently they are unusual because they are situated on the coast, while other ruins in Mexico are inland.

We were there for a couple of hours and it was pretty awesome. I am always amazed by being able to experience something that was built so long ago. I am walking in those same footsteps, seeing the same rocks, wondering at the same carvings. Fantastic!

When we were done we stopped at the little market/shopping area located on the way back to our car. There were a few cultural performances happening around us, too. It seems like many of these people depend on tourist dollars or tips to make a living.

I had lunch at Subway. Despite all the bonafide Mexican food I have been eating, I really have been craving a good veggie sandwich. And so that's what I had! So far, no problems with my stomach - hope it lasts. The sandwich is just like what I'd have at home... except for the pickles. I don't know exactly how to describe the pickles, but they are not the same. More sour, more salty maybe?

We got back to our cabana and had a bit of a rest. The heat really saps your energy, and we just spent 2 hours walking, walking, walking. A nap was in order! Upon waking we went to the restaurant and had a snack and a drink. While we were sitting there we saw 2 guys from the wedding arrive. We visited with them for a while, and waited a bit longer for the rest of the group - 20 more were on their way. We are going to take over this place, haha!

As the rest of the group arrived we hung out with them down by the beach and then we eventually all moved up to the restaurant when it became too windy. We are planning to go to Chichen Itza tomorrow but none of them will come with us since they have another week her and just want to relax. We can hardly blame them. But, as we are leaving in 2 days, we want to take the chance while we have it!

Off to shower & bed. I think the shower water is salt water, and it does not do a great job of washing my hair. I don't really feel clean afterwards. I suppose I'd get used to it if I had to, but for now it just leaves a little grimy feeling. Ah well, better than the sweaty, sticky-suncreen feeling. Tomorrow, Chichen Itza!!

No comments: