Thursday, July 10, 2014

On n'attache pas son chien avec des saucisses!

Hello everyone!

The weather in Québec City has cooled off a little, which is nice.  The humidity and constant sweating gets tiresome rather quickly.  There have been rainstorms and windstorms, too.  The weather certainly does change swiftly here.  It’s fairly prudent to bring a hat and/or umbrella with you everywhere you go (except into a concert – security collects all the umbrellas and presumably sells them on eBay).

There are a couple of other Coquitlam teachers here (Judy from Centennial, Franca from Terry Fox) who teach secondary French.  They are both in the advanced class (as they should be) so I don’t see them much, but they are pretty friendly.  Almost everybody here is inclusive and helpful; it’s a pretty good group.

Apparently the words for “neck” and “ass” sound remarkably similar.  Who knew?

Every couple of days we do workshops.  The first workshop we had was that one in the computer lab with the web resources.  The second workshop was about pronunciation.  I have discovered that I CAN roll my R’s after all!  Basically, you just gargle, right?  I tried to demonstrate with “Rrrrrroll up the rrrrrrim to win” but my prof did not seem impressed.  However since then, I get strange looks all the time and I think it’s because people are so surprised at my amazing progress.

We had our third workshop today, and it was a group project.  We created a comic strip and it turned out pretty great if I do say so myself.  J  I have attached it to this email so I can show off my newfound skillz.  The last workshop is next week.

The visit to the chocolaterie was pretty cool except it’s not really fair to bring a bunch of poor & starving BC teachers to a store like that.  It makes me feel like I am starring in the next installment of those “Confessions of a Shopaholic” books.  Basically, I just pretend like I have money, and then after I eat all the chocolates there is no evidence of my spending anyways.  Didn’t work out so well for the girl in that book…

Le Festival d’Été is still going strong.  There are so many stages and musical acts, indoor and outdoor, that even if you just wander around you can soak it all in.  We saw Young the Giant and The Killers the other night.  It was a great concert and slightly less crowded than Lady Gaga, which was nice.

Earlier this week our debutante class got a bit of a pep talk from one of our instructors.  He reminded us that it takes years to learn a second language, and that we need to be “gentle with ourselves.”  Good advice!  I was thinking that perhaps I could take a French course starting in the fall to make myself practice a little more regularly.  I am still using the Rosetta Stone, which is great, but it’s self-directed, and perhaps if I had a little more structure, I’d keep up with it more consistently.  Anyways, do you know about anything like that?  I suppose I could look into whether SFU or UBC or Douglas or some place has a beginner’s French course I could take – doing it online would be an option too.  Anyways, it’s something for me to think about.  I don’t want to lose all my progress.  ;-)

Did you know that “le trombone” is a musical instrument and “la trombone” is a paper clip?  J

Does anyone have any news from home?  I’m a little homesick, so feel free to write me a quick note.  Seven days until I come home…
Tomorrow we go to the sugar shack!  So excited!
Cheers,
E!

No comments: