Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 3 - Isaac Lake

We woke up to rain today, but it was nothing like we had encountered so far. It was a light sprinkling, a mere misting of drops. I felt so grateful to just have a chance to relax a bit. When it was pouring, everything was so stressful and depressing. This light rain was almost rejuvenating.

I paddled 17 km halfway down Isaac Lake with Adam in the stern. We were the lead boat and set the pace for everyone else. What a treat this was for me not to be last! Plus, we chatted and told stories and Adam helped me with correcting & improving my canoe strokes. It was so much better than the previous two days, already!

By the time we reached our campsite (#21), we noticed that something really strange had happened - it had stopped raining! We set up camp and actually made food that was eaten this time. We were able to enjoy the campsite and each other's company. Hallelujah! This is what I came for!

Quina and I had planned our meals together and every night we had a dehydrated dinner. It's basically a big plastic pouch that says something like "Three Cheese Chicken Pasta" or similar on it. You open it up, pour in 2 cups of boiling water, wait 10 minutes, and voila! Dinner is served. I think our favourite one was "Turkey Tetrazzini." I didn't think they were too bad, really, but I am pretty easy to please in the food department. Plus, after not eating much for 2 days and paddling all day long, it tasted delicious. Even the power bars and protein bars tasted great to me, and I normally can't stand those things.

Our evening was rounded out with some morale-boosting songs around the fire. AND, best of all, there seemed to be no mosquitoes here! What a treat to take off that mosquito shirt!



(Day 3 photos here.)

No comments: