Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Last of London

Heya peeps,

I know, I know.. emails from me every day. Don't worry, once we hit Egypt I think we will be severely limited as to when we can access the internet. So it may be Elaan-overload NOW, but... bear with me. :P

Today Tracy and I went to Leicester Square to try and get half-price tix to a musical... no go. It was cold & rainy and the lineup was long. So we decided to pass. Then we went to the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, down to the Tower Bridge and Tower of London, Hyde Park, Harrods, Picadilly Circus and we are soon meeting up with Frank to have dinner.

- the weather here is totally schizophrenic. Seriously, it changes every ten minutes: cold, rainy, windy, cloudy, sunny, cloudy, windy, rainy, sunny... kinda makes it hard to dress yourself properly. I made the mistake yesterday of underestimating the nice weather, and yes.. got sunburned. I shrieked when I saw myself in the mirror; Tracy thought there was a spider in the bathroom.

- officially I have almost gotten shmucked by vehicles twice. Looking the wrong way for traffic is a bad pedestrian mistake to make. They even write directions on the road for you, i.e. "LOOK RIGHT -->" so now I am pretty savvy.

- I am disappointed at the lack of recycling facilities here.

- except for missing out on home-cooked meals, I could eat at Marks & Spencer and Pret A Manger every single day. One thing I have noticed here is that there is 2 prices on foodstuffs - a higher price if you are going to eat "IN" and a cheaper price if you are "TAKE AWAY". Interesting.

- crowds of people make me homicidal. Guess I'd better get over that. It is sooooo crowded here. Much reminds me of Hong Kong, like the subway, and the crowds, and the pollution.

- Harrods is pretentious and the changing of the guard was boring. Eep! I really do love it though. The theatre district is really nice - might like to live here.

- an incredible city for people-watching. People have their own personal sense of style & behaviour. Sometimes it's _very_ odd. Like the guy on the subway who listened to his iPod and sang out loud, the women with spiked hair and the many buskers in the stations.

- tomorrow morning we fly to Venice! Romantic city, woooo! :)

Hope all is well, thanks for all the messages.
xo
Elaan

No comments: