Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Orkney to Inverness to Blairgowrie to Edinburgh

Hello everyone,

So on Sunday in Orkney we went to see the Tomb of the Eagles and a Bronze-age house, and we also stopped at a famous Italian Chapel that was made completely out of garbage and found materials during WWII. Very neat. Then we stopped back in Kirkwall, and went shopping. I must say it's the first time on the trip I really wanted to buy something for myself -- so guess what I bought -- a necklace and earrings, and a cheese board. Yes, I said cheese board. It's not just any cheese board though, it has ancient viking runes etched into it! So that makes it an ultra-cool awesome cheese board.

Anyways, with those purchases I think I have officially run out of money. Any time I consider buying anything it is usually at the expense of a meal or two, haha. So I think my purchases will stop there -- I just don't have room in my bags or money for anything else! Although Christine thinks we could buy another bag to check at the airport... but my motivation for being here really isn't shopping, so that's okay.

Yesterday at the B&B we were staying at in Inverness, they offered haggis as part of the morning meal, so I tried it!! I figured it was a safe way to try it since there would be lots of other food, and it was all part of the package. So, haggis... hmmm. It wasn't bad really. It kinda tasted like ground beef and barley put together. It sure wasn't my favourite, me being not a very big meat-eater anyways, but it was fine. I didn't finish it all. So now I have had the whiskey AND the haggis. I wonder if there are any other Scottish traditions to have before I leave here?

After breakfast we went down to Loch Ness to go swimming. Except... that it was freezing ice-cold. We stood in the water up to our calves and I swear after about 30 seconds I couldn't feel my feet anymore. So, we didn't swim. But we did dip our toes in the water!

After Loch Ness we went to Dundee (not a very pretty city, but family history abounds there for Christine). We also went to the famous Glamis Castle, which was amazing, and headed to a lovely B&B for the night.

Oddly, we have seen 4 or 5 instances of fighter jets?? in the sky while we've been here. Seriously, it's something out of Top Gun. Strange to see them flying so low. And we have also seen many instances of mating cows. Related? Maybe so.

Anyways, I must be going because my time is running out but tonight we head to Edinburgh! It's going to be fabulous! We are home soon after that. Hope y'all are well...
xo
Elaan

No comments: